Providence Health & Services Surgical Services Director in Portland, Oregon
Providence is calling a Surgical Services Director (1.0 FTE, Days) to Providence Portland Medical Center in Portland,OR.
The Eastside Director of Surgical Services is accountable for providing leadership and management direction for surgical services departments at Providence Portland Medical Center, Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center, Providence Milwaukie Hospital and Providence Hood River Hospital. This position will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer with a dotted line to the Chief Nursing Officer.
We are seeking a Surgical Services Director that will:
· Have strong alignment with our Mission and Values
· have a solid understanding of healthcare finance and financial acumen
· Be a relationship-based leader with physicians and other caregivers, and who will make the service line successful while maintaining engagement.
· Be very competent in the areas of strategic thought and implementation as well as the great ability to influence culture and accountability.
· Oversee and ensure efficient and effective delivery of services
· Direct the clinical and administrative functions in accordance with Providence Health System and hospital surgical services policies.
· Ensure a balance of optimal, achievable quality patient care, staff and physician satisfaction and coordination with other hospital departments.
· Collaborate with northern Oregon surgical services leadership teams in developing division strategic direction, objectives and vision.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
· Creates a climate for and establishes a commitment to healing.
· Builds trust, caring and respectful relationships, which empower others without a sense of obligation.
· Establishes work teams, promoting respect, positive interpersonal relationships among departments throughout the hospital and Portland Service Area.
· Assists in problem solving administrative/hospital or surgical services policies and procedures to facilitate quality patient care.
· Recognizes accomplishments of individual staff and teams.
· Develops and provides services based on determination of needs.
· Role models caring behaviors and coaches others.
· Supports and promotes professional nursing and quality patient outcomes.
· Advocates for excellence in patient care and nursing practice.
· Advocates for changes in process of care delivery that maintains service to the patient and the Sisters of Providence mission.
· Advocates for, develops, uses and coaches others in utilization of resources available to assist when resolving an ethical dilemma that protects patients’ rights and autonomy.
· Advocates for professional development opportunities.
· Advocates for systems and standards that support the dependent, independent and interdependent nursing interventions.
· Promotes positive communication within the department and with other departments.
· Responds with a customer service approach to any issues affecting the department.
· Establishes and promotes collegial relationships with members of the health care team.
· Creates a culture that provides service to our patients as the number one priority
DIAGNOSIS/MONITORING FUNCTION :
· Anticipates and recognizes needed interventions based on an assessment of patient outcomes and staff and organizational needs.
· Plans, controls, directs, and coordinates all administrative responsibilities to ensure efficient systems and processes, which support and enhance patient care, work redesign and quality improvement opportunities.
· Maintains ongoing communication and collaboration with Chief of Anesthesia and Chief of Surgery to ensure departmental goals are achieved and to address operational and quality issues.
· Develops and/or participates in the development of policies and procedures that are in compliance with regulatory and professional organizations.
· Supports continuity and consistency within Portland Service Area Surgical Services.
· Plans, manages, and evaluates utilization of resources.
· Develops, implements and manages capital and operating budgets to meet clinical and institutional goals.
· Facilitates and manages change in an effective manner
ADMINISTERS/MONITORS INTERVENTIONS :
· Intervenes with programs and processes that produce quality patient outcomes and contribute to the advancement of goals and objectives of the Providence Health System.
· Assures responsiveness to newly identified patient, medical staff and professional support needs by directing or actively participating in the design, development and implementation of new programs.
· Keeps Service Area Director informed of ongoing operations, including conformity to policies, budget and volume trends/change and issues of concern.
· Determines needs, implements and evaluates human and fiscal resources for cost effective support of department goals, research, quality improvement, technology, and evaluation projects.
· Involves staff in decision-making.
· Develops and implements effective staff communication strategies.
· Establishes annual goals and objectives as well as long range, strategic and operating plans.
· Collaborates with Oregon Region and System level perioperative councils in the identification and evaluation of supply chain management opportunities
· Coaches and mentors staff in their orientation to and development within the department and professional practices.
· Collaborates in the development and ensures implementation of high-quality staff programs, including orientation, continuing education and skills training.
· Mentors and supports development of leadership team in project management, data analysis, information technology, clinical, managerial and financial practice.
· Assesses, plans, initiates, and evaluates teaching/coaching based on assessment of needs.
· Serves as a resource to departments, hospital, and Portland Service in areas of expertise
· Monitors and ensures the quality of health care practices, programs and patient care.
· Leads, strategically directs, and implements quality improvement activities and outcomes.
· Establishes, maintains, and communicates standards and policies and procedures in accordance with community and regional standards, regulatory requirements, philosophy and mission to assure quality age appropriate patient care.
· Utilizes the principles of quality improvement and redesign in working with staff and other departments to continually improve service and efficiencies.
· Identifies opportunities for innovative practice change in collaboration with Clinical Nurse Specialist.
· Assures accountability for patient, staff and physician satisfaction within defined area of responsibility
ORGANIZATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
· Prioritizes to meet multiple demands; demonstrates professional growth and contributes to profession.
· Represents Surgical Services on internal and external committees and task forces locally and nationally.
· Continually updates knowledge about clinical practice, trends and issues and actively seeks opportunities to apply this knowledge to nursing practice.
· Collaborates and provides direction to clinical development specialist to plan appropriate orientation for new staff and ongoing staff education to promote professional development
Required qualifications for this position include:
Bachelor’s degree in nursing
Master’s Degree in Nursing, Business Related or related healthcare field
5 years Surgical Services management experience at the Director level with similar scope of responsibility and size, including strategic planning, program development, team and relationship building, managing daily operations, staffing and budgets
Current Oregon RN license at time of hire
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
· Specialty certification in Surgical Services and membership in AORN
About Providence in Oregon
As the largest healthcare system and largest private employer in Oregon, Providence offers exceptional work environments and unparalleled career opportunities.
The Providence Experience begins each time our patients or their families have an encounter with a Providence team member and continues throughout their visit or stay. Whether you provide direct or indirect patient care, we want our patients to feel that they are in a welcoming place where they can be comfortable and free from anxiety. Our employees create the Providence Experience through simple, caring behaviors such as acknowledging and welcoming each visitor, introducing ourselves and Providence, addressing people by name, providing the duration of estimated wait times and updating frequently if timelines change, explaining situations in a way that puts patients at ease, carefully listening to their concerns, and always thanking people for trusting Providence for their healthcare needs. At Providence, our quality vision is simple,
"Providence will provide the best care and service to every person, every time."
Providence is consistently ranked among the top 100 companies to work for in Oregon. It is also home to two of our award-winning Magnet medical centers. Providence hospitals and clinics are located in numerous areas, ranging from the Columbia Gorge to the wine country to sunny southern Oregon to charming coastal communities to the urban setting of Portland. If you want a vibrant lifestyle while working with a team highly committed to the art of healing, choose from our many options in Oregon.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Nurse Director/Executive
Req ID: 250555