Providence Health & Services Nurse Director - Medical Surgical in Portland, Oregon
Providence is calling a Nurse Director - Medical Surgical (1.0 FTE, Days) to Providence St. Vincent Medical Center in Portland, OR.
We are seeking a Nurse Director who will be accountable for the provision and quality of nursing services at the facility level with a defined area of focus, in support of Providence Health & Services System and Regional goals. This includes strategically ensuring a balance of optimal and efficient patient care; staff, patient, and physician satisfaction; and cooperative partnerships with other organizational departments and professional groups. With a constant focus on patient-centeredness and staff and patient safety, the Nursing Director creates and maintains standards and systems for care delivery at their facility. These systems of care delivery promote evidence-based practice and are designed to support the management of productivity targets within a context of constant change in patient volumes, patient acuity, and available resources. Through leading in patient care delivery and planning strategically, consistently supports efficient and effective patient care services, and achieving organizational and system goals. This includes advancing the strategic vision and goals of the Oregon Nursing Center of Excellence. Constructively manages change and promotes a team-based approach.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- INTEGRATING MISSION AND VALUES
ANA Standard: Ethics
• Identify need for, and acts as necessary to advocate for systemic change to ensure the Mission will be viable in the future with decreasing resources
• Role models Core Values in actions, decision, and language
◦ Promote an environment of hope, healing, and hospitality
◦ Set standards and expectations for caring and trusting behaviors for all levels of nursing staff
• Act as lay leader to ensure the heritage of the sponsoring religious community is told in the organization
• Act on opportunities to extend the Mission and values other Catholic Health Care into the larger community/society
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING
Diagnosing and Monitoring; Administering and Monitoring Interventions
ANA Standard: Assessment; Problems/Diagnosis; Identification of Outcomes; Planning
• Focus organization on top critical priorities
• Anticipate future trends and consequences, can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans to address future needs
◦ Encourag creative approaches.
◦ Eliminated barriers for success.
- IMPROVING QUALITY.
ANA Standard: Implementation; Quality of Care and Administrative Practice; Research
• Assure the needs and voice of the patient as the customer are heard by consistent integration of nursing in the development and achievement of organizational goals
• Advocate for public policy improving health care and nursing practice
• Establish and maintain effective relationships with customer groups by gaining trust and respect
• Champion patient and staff safety at all levels in the organization
• Reduce variation and error through implementation of evidence-based practice models
• Continuously improves outcomes through empowerment and management of data by promoting nursing research
• Plan for and supports the implementation of technology to support clinical practice
Teaching and Coaching; Managing Change.
ANA Standard: Professional Environment; Performance Appraisal.
• Establish and maintain a safe, supportive, and healthy environment to practice nursing throughout the region
• Create and develop high performance teams when needed
◦ Give team members appropriate responsibility, authority, freedom, and support to assure teams wins and successes
◦ Provide individuals information so that they can make accurate decisions in a timely manner on a regular basis
◦ Foster open and direct communication that encourages dialog and supports oppositional thinking
◦ Employ excellent listening skills
◦ Step up to conflict and is able to find common ground to achieve cooperation with minimum discord
◦ Create and communicates a compelling vision of Providence Oregon Nursing that reflects the present and the future, Inspire ownership of the vision that is inclusive of all staff at all levels
◦ Attract the best talent to the organization
◦ Advance and embraces diversity in both staff and patient populations
◦ Clearly assign responsibility and authority for tasks and decisions
▪ Set clear objectives and measures
▪ Hold people accountable for results
- DEMONSTRATING BUSINESS EFFECTIVENESS.
Organizational and Professional Development.
ANA Standard: Professional Knowledge; Collaboration; Resource Utilization.
• Understand the close connection between Finance and Human Resources in attaining quality clinical outcomes, partner with peers from these areas to provide infrastructure to reach clinical goals of excellence
• Understand how people and organizations function and is able to maneuver through complex political situations effectively, manages up in support others throughout the organization
• Provide leadership on strategic direction and resource allocation committees and councils that affect nursing practice throughout the region
• Assure compliance with all professional, regulatory, and legal standards in development of organizational policy
• Knowledgeable about current and possible future policies, practices, trends, and information affecting health care
• Actively participates in decision making with leaders for all areas of management, finance, medical staff, and clinical focus areas to create processes and structures that support the Mission and goals of Providence Health System.
• Demonstrate the ability to:
◦ Make decisions based on fact and identified need which also support Catholic social and ethical teachings
◦ Make quick but sound decisions when required by a situation without sacrificing decision quality
◦ To handle risk and uncertainty by making decisions without all facts as necessary
This position also provides:
Outstanding benefits that start the same day you do!
Competitive salary based on experience
Generous Leader Time-Off program
Education reimbursement opportunities
Free Tri-Met pass / Free parking
Vacation destination, gym membership and retail discounts
Many other employee perks
Required qualifications for this position includes:
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
Master's Degree in Nursing, -OR- related field
National Certification from ANA or Professional Organization in relevant field of clinical expertise
Current Oregon RN License
Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider
Six (6) years of experience in progressive leadership roles
About Providence in Oregon
As the largest healthcare system and largest private employer in Oregon, Providence offers exceptional work environments and unparalleled career opportunities.
The Providence Experience begins each time our patients or their families have an encounter with a Providence team member and continues throughout their visit or stay. Whether you provide direct or indirect patient care, we want our patients to feel that they are in a welcoming place where they can be comfortable and free from anxiety. Our employees create the Providence Experience through simple, caring behaviors such as acknowledging and welcoming each visitor, introducing ourselves and Providence, addressing people by name, providing the duration of estimated wait times and updating frequently if timelines change, explaining situations in a way that puts patients at ease, carefully listening to their concerns, and always thanking people for trusting Providence for their healthcare needs. At Providence, our quality vision is simple,
"Providence will provide the best care and service to every person, every time."
Providence is consistently ranked among the top 100 companies to work for in Oregon. It is also home to two of our award-winning Magnet medical centers. Providence hospitals and clinics are located in numerous areas, ranging from the Columbia Gorge to the wine country to sunny southern Oregon to charming coastal communities to the urban setting of Portland. If you want a vibrant lifestyle while working with a team highly committed to the art of healing, choose from our many options in Oregon.
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Nurse Director/Executive
Req ID: 263530