Providence Health & Services Director, Specialty Coding/Charge Capture PSJH in Oregon
Providence St. Joseph Health is calling a Director Specialty Coding/Charge Capture PSJH to work remotely within our footprint states of: CA, OR and/or WA.
We are seeking a Director Specialty Coding/Charge Capture PSJH who will be accountable for the development, operations, and optimization of the coding/abstracting acute-care services within ORC. This role includes working with key stakeholders across Providence St. Joseph Health enterprise; developing and executing strategic plans around acute-care coding/abstracting, charge capture, and clinical documentation (coding-related) improvement initiatives; participating in, leading, and partnering with others on ORC strategic integration efforts; ensuring a compliant, effective, and streamlined operational experience for business and patient constituent groups. This leader, therefore, will need to have strong communication and leadership skills.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
• Ensures that all hospital acute-care coding/abstracting, and charge capture strategic goals and services are aligned with organizational priorities and developed in a consistent and standardized manner across all Regions.
• Overall management and oversight of acute-care Coding/Abstracting, Charge Capture, QA, Education, and Training functions.
• Overall management of coding technology and use of common tools including EPIC Applications, encoders, groupers, and other systems related to coding/abstracting and charge capture.
• Leads System hospital acute-care initiatives to improve coding and charge accuracy and clinical documentation and adherence to official coding and regulatory guidelines.
• Overall oversight of the development of standardized policies, procedures, and practices related to coding/abstracting and specialty charge capture across all Regions.
• Establishes and monitors overall compliance to all coding-related KPI’s.
• Management and oversight responsibility of departmental budgets within leadership scope including participation in budget development, approval responsibility and ongoing monitoring for productivity and cost compliance.
• Leads and/or participates in planning of revenue cycle programs, improvements, service and direction as pertinent to area of responsibility.
• Leads teams specializing in Cardiovascular (Cardiac Cath Lab, Interventional Radiology) and Emergency/Trauma services.
Required qualifications for this position include:
Bachelor's Degree in any related field
Valid Driver's license.
CCS, CIRC, Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification.
10 or more years Multi-hospital and/or integrated healthcare system.
8 years Managerial leadership role in HIM/Coding in a complex healthcare environment such as a multiple-hospital health system.
5 years Strong EMR Experience.
Demonstrated experience working in a multiple facility environment and an ability to operate in a matrix organizational structure.
Demonstrated experience in process improvement methodology, change management, operational improvement in complex systems.
Acute-care Coding/HIM leadership experience.
Healthcare business operations and/or financial management experience in a healthcare setting.
Demonstrated experience standardizing complex and disparate processes and policies and maintaining common processes to standards across multiple facilities and in different settings.
Ability to work within tight timeframes and meet strict deadlines.
Demonstrated analytical skills.
Builds and manages effective teams
Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills.
Effective leadership skills.
Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
Master's Degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administrator, Public Administration or HIM.
Effective interpersonal skills.
About the department you will serve.
One Revenue Cycle (ORC) is the name adopted to reflect the Providence employees who work throughout Providence in revenue cycle systems and structures in support of our family of organizations across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington. ORC’s objective is to ensure our core strategy, One Ministry Committed to Excellence, is delivered along with the enhanced overall patient care experience (know me, care for me, ease my way) by providing a robust foundation of services, operational and technical support, and the sharing of comprehensive, relevant, and highly specialized revenue cycle expertise.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Non-Clinical Director/Executive
Other Location(s): California, Washington, Oregon
Req ID: 312627